Who is your favorite artist?
Outer
There are
so many art galleries and art on the street here. I have never endured so much
art. Not just paintings or drawings, but all kinds of arts. Royal street is
where we were to go this particular day to experience all the art galleries. We
are too pick an artist that we like and that spoke to us. I walk into Sutton’s
Galleries. Inside there is two floors full of artwork. Some are similar to
other artist. Brightly painted canvases line the downstairs as well as different
rock work and different forms of art. There is a staircase that is towards that
back of the shop and so I go up the wrap around stairs. At the top of the
stairs there is a landing and it has some artwork, but then I walk into the
next room and to the right there she is. There is a large canvas hanging. A
lady kneeled on one knee naked, holding up a black rope of some kind as it
entangles her body. Her head is turned and you cannot see her face. Her hair is
a dishwater blonde. I walk over to talk about this painting with one of the
gentlemen who has a desk on this floor. The gentleman has dark short hair. He
is dressed in a suit with no tie. His desk sits on the left hand side as you
come through the doorway. He asks what I am interested in and I tell him. His
reaction was not what I expected. He was not in favor of this artist pictures,
because a lot of people do not know what they would do with such naked artwork.
We then discussed price and who the artist was exactly. He was unsure of the
price but he thought it was about $15,000, possibly more. It is hard to say how
long something like that will hang in the gallery. He said one other couple was
very interested in this piece but they did not know where it would hang in the
house.
| Sutton Galleries |
Inner
This
particular painting speaks to me in so many ways. When I look at this picture
at Sutton’s Galleries, I see a woman being weighed down. The rope may not look
heavy from the outside but to her it weighs her down greatly. It is like a ton
of bricks. The feeling of being alone with nowhere to go and no one to help.
You are stuck but yet try to lift yourself up so that you keep going. The rope
is long and entangled on her arms, body, and legs. To me, each place this rope
is on her body has its own brick weighing her down. The fact that she is naked,
is just that. She is alone and naked and afraid but still will stand. Her face
is turned because you will not always see who it is. Not everyone shows the
struggle. Most strong women hide it the best they know how too. Josep Borrell
is the artist name in particular. A lot of his work is similar to this. Naked
and natural oil paintings. I will never be able to afford a painting like this
but I did think about what I would do with such a picture like this. I would
not know what I would do with it unless put in my bedroom. Not everybody would
see this picture the way I do. Some would just turn their heads and be snobs
about it. Some would wonder why I would have such a picture in the house. I
honestly would not care but of course it is not just myself in my house.
Unfortunately, I was not allowed to take picture while
inside the gallery but you may use the link below to see it on Instagram.
To learn more about Josep Borrell or visit Sutton Galleries you can visit the link below
Comments
Post a Comment