Day 1 Departure
Outer
Walking out of Methodist College it
is cold, damp, and spitting ice. The parking lot is not full as it is Winter
Break. The few cars that are in the parking lot belong to the ones going on the
travel trip to New Orleans. Getting into the cold strange car that I had
swapped for my own to let the grandparents take for my kids, I realized that I
was having major anxiety leaving. I agreed to pick up my roommate at her home
and we would drive together. I needed to stop at my house to grab my bags and
say goodbye to my children.
Pulling into the driveway you can
hear the sound of the two large dogs barking excitedly. They are not much of
guard dogs, they like people too much. We walk into my home and at first I did
not think anybody was there. It was dark and quiet. I walked through the main floor
hallway into the kitchen and yelled down stairs to see if Grandpa and Abel were
there. I get a “Mommy!” My son of course begs me not to go. He hangs onto me
while I go upstairs to change and grab my bags. My daughter had a cousin over
playing in her room and finally came to say goodbye. I say my goodbyes and grab
my bags.
We hit the road. It is starting to
get dark. It is cloudy, dim, and still spitting ice. The ice is not bad. It was
not sticking or making it slick out. The car ride was to be an hour and a half.
An hour and a half car ride with a girl I did not know. It was a good time to
get to know her. The background noise was the radio station. It was flipped
through in between conversation about one another. We arrived two hours early
and got dinner and ran to the mall.
The train station…it was dark and
damp in the city of Champaign. The train station stands as small multilevel
building that holds the train and bus station. The building was on my right and
we drove past the station to the underpass parking lot. The parking lot was not
full and I parked in the front row. The walk from the car was cold. Teeth were
chattering, trying to roll the luggage through the parking lot and up the small
hill, it was a short but yet long walk. Walking up to the building a bus was
letting passengers off. One gentleman was a tall, dark, older man. He had gray
facial hair. He was missing a front tooth and was smoking a cigarette. He asked
us as we walked by if we had money for a sandwich. I did not hear what he had
asked because I just kept walking. My roommate heard him though. We arrived 45
minutes earlier than we were told to be at the train station. During this time,
I found a seat next to an outlet. Met Dr. Wolf who was also coming on this trip
as a chaperone. The train station was small. It is not as large as I thought it
would have been. In my seat is where I sat most of the time. Listening and
watching the others. There was a lot of chattering and laughing going on. It
was a good site to see. To the right of me there were a group of my fellow classmates
with all their bags. They had a lot of bags.
Sleeping on the train….We boarded,
and we found our seats. The train takes off quickly from each station it stops
at. I assume the conductor is who comes over the speaker to announce things. As
soon as the train started to roll on the tracks the conductor came over the
intercom to inform us that snack station car was closing in 20 minutes. I
wanted to walk the train and see what it was like. Walking down the aisle,
holding onto seats on both sides, trying not to fall into someone’s lap, we
made it through the first car. Opening the door to the next car you get a bit
of cold air to the face, as well as the smell of train fumes. It was a bumpy,
wobbly ride. Finally, we made it to the snack car and back without falling.
Inner
I can say
that I love traveling. I am open for different styles of traveling. I love
getting to know new people and have new experiences. Although leaving my kids
behind is a whole other story. I did not think I would have the stress and
anxiety that I have had. While sitting in the classroom yesterday it hit me
like a ton of bricks. This is the first time I will be away for a whole week.
What are my children thinking? My four-year-old was begging me not to go. He
asked me, “why did you sign up for this mommy?” I know I needed this break, I
needed to get away from my everyday life. I needed to get out of the normal
classroom setting for once and experience a travel course. While leaving the
house I just had to put my feelings to the side and get on the road. It was a
short hour and half drive. I had my roommate and we kept each other company. We
had the opportunity to get to know each other better. We are about to share a
room for a whole week, so it was good to have the opportunity. Traveling by
train is a whole new experience for me. I have drove, flown, and traveled by
ship/boat. The train is not like any of the others. There is not going through
security. There is not being late and them waiting for you. There is a last
call and then they are on the tracks rolling without you. The train is not a
smooth ride. At first I did not like it but as the night and morning have gone
on it is okay. Got to give new things a chance. I love watching out the windows
and seeing the scenery. Right now it is not anything pretty to look at. It is
just muddy, bare, fields, and bare trees. I can imagine what it is like during
the spring and summer months. I have already learned a lot about myself during
just the first day.
After my
night I am tired and sore but I will manage. We have a long day ahead of us. It
is only morning. We do not arrive till later this afternoon. Tonight we have
our haunted tour. I want to enjoy it as much as possible. This is what I came
on the trip for.
Comments
Post a Comment