What a day.....
Outer
It is a cold crisp morning here in
New Orleans. There is a wind advisory and boy is the wind howling around us
today. 0730 and we are walking down the busy morning streets of the
Warehouse/arts district all the way to the French Quarter to Jackson Square. We
arrived early and checked out the river view. We did not know that it was going
to be so cold. I was not prepared for the wind either. Teeth were chattering
most of the tour that we dad. At 0830 our tour was to start but it was late
starting. It was time to grab something hot to drink.
One of the most interesting
experience from our three-hour tour would have been the beginning of the tour.
Talking about the history of Jackson Square itself. Learning about the Pontalba
Buildings. Standing in the street listening to Milton talk about the apartments
building and the wrought iron and cast iron beautifications. In the background
around us there are numerous people walking around. Vendors and people of the
streets setting up their tables and tricks. In front of us stood Milton our
tour guide and behind him was a restaurant on one of the lower Pontalba
Buildings. Above us was the second floor and he pointed out the A and P
initials of Michaela Leonardo Antonis Almonester and Baroness de Pontalba, on
the cast iron terrace. Milton then went on to discuss the two different types
of iron that was used. Wrought iron and cast iron. He mentioned that cast iron is
what they used for the decorative terraces and around other areas of buildings.
The wrought iron was handmade by the slaves. They made it using different ingredients,
“that with all the technology we have today, they still cannot duplicate it”
said Milton. Overall it was a wonderful tour and experience.
Inner
Sore, I am
so freaking sore today. My legs, feet and lower back are so stiff and sore.
Today has been a very long day. I was ready to have this day but my body was
not apparently. I can tell that I am not in shape like I once was. Nursing
school does that to you though. Who has the time to actually be in shape when
they have full-time nursing school, part-time work and full-time parenting and
wife duties. It is not easy and I do not like to complain, but damn. I am happy
though to get out and walk.
Who knew
that granulated sugar means that it is sugar that water has been taken out of
it? I sure the hell did not. I feel like this is something I should have known.
Milton informed us that today. He definitely enlightened me on this today.
Crowds of
people are not a favorite of mine. Being squished up against others is not my
cup of tea either. During the pharmacy tour they let so many people that we
were all squished like sardines into the main level. I moved myself to the door
that went into the outside garden area. The pharmacy tour was really good, but
I was not close enough to hear and see everything that was going on. I tried to
soak in as much as I could and stayed for a little after to also go back and
look around. I just wish there was more time. There was so much history shoved
into that little building. It was fascinating to see what the pharmaceutical and
health care used back in the day.
Comments
Post a Comment