December 30 Outer Journey


Friday, December 28. It is cloudy, cold and windy. The wind is strong enough that you can hear it scream through the windows, as I sit on my couch. The cat sitting behind my head, my two dogs running to the door barking as the mail-lady drives by at the same time every-day. Both of my children are home on break. My 11 year-old sitting at the kitchen counter with her new headphones on listening to music while using her Copic markers and media paper. My 4 year-old sitting at the eat-in kitchen table watching is IPad with his head lying on one of his arm and the other holding up the IPad. The television in front of me is one and had Gilmore Girl re-runs playing for back-ground noise. Months ago I had to start planning for this trip. In order for me to even go I had to find help with my kids. My husband works a full-time job and works a lot of long hours. So I needed to line up somebody that could stay the whole week with him. The kids would be off the whole week from school because of winter-break. It is still hard to believe that I get this opportunity to go. Things that I need to accomplish before leaving include: catching up on laundry, grocery shopping, changing out the litter box, making a list for my husband and his father for the week. It sounds crazy to have to do all this because there will be two-grown men here taking care of the kids, but if I don’t then they will ask questions and think they have to call me a million times. It is just easier to do it this way.

I am sitting here thinking making a list for the things I need to pack for my New Orleans trip. The list running through my head instead of being written on paper.

· Clothes

· Shoes

· Hygiene Products

· Snacks for the train

· Laptop

· Paper

· Pens and Pencils

· A book to read

· Headphones

· Pillow

· Blanket

· Water bottle

A month ago I went on a shopping trip with my mother-in-law, Kim, sister-in-law, Brealyn, and aunt-in law, Valerie (if that is how you would describe the Aunt). Kim, Brealyn and I woke up bright and early and headed to West Burlington, Iowa, where Valerie lives. It started out being a sunny morning, but the weather ended in a snow and ice storm. We picked up Valerie and headed to Iowa City. There is a decent sized mall there. The goal was to get some Christmas Shopping done as well as find myself a nice travel bag to take on the train. Out of all the stores that we had visited that day I finally found one at the West Burlington Shopko. This bag is brightly colored and has rollers. It is a carry-on style bag it has brown straps that I can hold. The handle that pulls out of the top that I can pull and roll the bag along-side. There are numerous patterns and colors. Red ribbon, red and white stripes, pink with black poka-dots, orange and pink triangles, pink and turquoise cheetah print, two different blue colored triangles.


As I sit here I know that this bag is sitting empty. There is nothing inside, nothing that I have started packing. I am the write the list, lay everything out, then pack it all up and cross it off the list type of girl.

I have looked at all the resources given to us for our trip to New Orleans. I have googled and mapped out the French Quarter and where the hotel is. I am not an expert, nor will I remember it all. I have looked at pictures of the train and can imagine the movement and the scenery the train will offer. I have never personally been on a train but have always wanted to go on one. In preparation for the class, I have looked at the course material, I have friends that have gone on this trip and they have given me a list of places that I need to go too. I have met with my roommate and E-travel guide partner and we divided the work between the two of us, while having coffee at Starbucks.

Comments

Popular Posts